Monday, July 12, 2010

Sri Lanka 4 - Peace Prayers

In class today, we wrote prayers for peace.  Sri Lanka, as you know, has just ended thirty years of fighting. For the first time in their lives these young women and men know the absence of war. Here is a sample of their heartfelt prayers:

JULIN ANITA
Peace be with you!
Lord Jesus!
I thank and praise you this morning.

Father, send your Holy Spirit upon us so that we may understand this lesson of peace.

King of Peace!
I ask you to bless those who are suffering because of war.
Bless them abundantly and shower your peace upon them so that they will live happily.
For them, I ask this through Christ our Lord.  Amen.


LASIKA
Jesus my Saviour,
I thank and I praise you.
Once again you have given us a beautiful day.
Jesus, I know your divinity can defend me today too.

My dear Jesus,
please help me to be a peaceful person.
Keep me as the apple of your eye.
If I have un-peaceful things in my heart, please cleanse me.
Full of trust, I ask that you send me your holy grace.
Amen.  Alleluia.


ISURU
Dear Lord Jesus,
As a country, at last we feel the freedom of this land.
We can now go anywhere we want with your blessing.
Under your hand, we survived the terrorism of our country, but still people feel its harsh effects.

Dear God,
With your blessing, there would be perfect calm.
We would need no army, no refugee camps, no police, no courts
if only the country were totally at peace.

Please God,
bring peace to every single person around the world and make it easy to enter heaven.
Amen.


CATHEREEN
King of Peace,
I thank and praise you for this peaceful moment you have given us.
Jesus, I ask you to bless those who are going through various problems.
Send your gift of peace upon them.
Jesus, fill our hearts with your peace.
You said to your disciples: "Peace be with you."
Today I ask you to say those words to us so that we can share your peace with others.
I ask this through Christ our Lord.  Amen.


Again I am learning when I am supposed to be teaching..
Peace and blessings from Colombo!
deacon bill+